As you already know, this summer and next Autumn TBH, is all about the trophy trouser. Be it coloured, jaquard or printed, no self respecting fashionista will be without a statement trew. So hopefully we have all got over the ‘I look like I’m wearing my pyjamas’ fear of the patterned bottom and are ready to move forward into brocades and Paisleys for A/W (more of this to come at a later date).
The trophy trouser works for day and night and footwear is the way to seamlessly move the look from desk to dinner. Pop on a flat pump, men’s brogue or wedge sandal for day wear and for a more dressed up/evening look – it’s all about the kitten heel.
The kitten heel is a thing of joy for the over 40’s, as its says fashionable elegance, without the pain. The delicate little heel still enables maximum stomping and running for buses – but beware, don’t get your tiny heels caught in the gap between paving stones. Walking out of you shoe is so not a good look.
J crew have got the trophy trouser/kitten heel combo just right both for this Spring Summer and next Autumn Winter. They team a printed pencil skirt, patterned trousers and even chinos with kitten heels, for a modern statement that says ‘fashionable woman in charge of her life and still managing to walk comfortably’.
There are of course some important points to consider to get this look just right
- Matching shoes and bags in this case are a good thing. Dispel any worries about looking like the MOTB, matchy matchy is what we are going for here.
- NEVER and I mean never, wear kitten heels with wide leg trousers, this is all about the narrow capri pant or the peg leg and they have to be cropped at the ankle (ignore teen son when he asks why you are wearing ankle swingers, you know – he doesn’t).
- Skirts with KH’s are fine, but they must be pencil skirts. They can be patterned or plain, but should be knee length and tight fitting. Add a denim shirt or jacket if you feel too Joan from Mad men.
- Ditto dresses, they should be slim line or shift shape. Be very careful with 50’s style fuller skirts as one can look a little bit fancy dress/stuck in a time warp. We are thinking Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday not a rockabilly weekender at Skegness Butilns.
- Kitten heels also work with jeans, but again the slim line, cropped rule applies.
Here are a few of the nicest styles available right now. Some of them are on sale at Net a Porter so worth checking out.
Silver snake from DKNY were £175, now £87.50 – black patent from Jimmy Choo, ridiculously expensive at £320, but gorgeous – LK Bennet patent in black, red, tan, pastel pink and coral, were £175 now £125.
Yah shoes I can walk in! I noticed this look on another blog a few days ago and thought then how much I loved the look.
Great – heels I can wear without wobbling. Brilliant. I am having a problem with cropped trousers though – hope it ‘s not only me. They always seem to be designed for much longer legs and come down almost to my ankles. Have legs got longer, or are mine shrinking?
I am so ahead of my time – I was looking everywhere for a pair of kitten heels to wear to my sister’s wedding last summer and I couldn’t find them anywhere !!! Typical !!!
I know Leanne – I love this look.
I have the same problem Anna and have to have all trousers shortened, but weirdly I feel taller in cropped trousers !!
I’ve never stopped wearing kitten heels, so glad they’re “back” as it means more to choose from!
As with my new short hair I am learning to be extremely attentive to what I read here as the chances are I will soon be wearing it. I need some cheaper KH options but I guess where LK Bennet goes New Look will follow
I have four pairs of kitten heels in the very back of my wardrobe that will be coming to the fore now. Just shows you should NEVER throw things away. A
Great outfits choices! I just created outfits for younger girls wishing to try the kitten heels trend on my blog if you wanna check it out: http://fr.pinterest.com/pin/513128951268397944/
Bises de Paris
Oups, my tips are here ^^ http://dresslikeaparisian.com/how-to-wear-black-kitten-heels-without-looking-mumsy/